Wednesday, September 12, 2007

time travel

I get it; the movement is through time, or time frames, not through space. It is time that is malleable. So time travel is much different than what I previously thought, where one had to get into a physical machine and travel through space via H.G. Wells, up or down the time line, to arrive somewhere else in time. And that idea set up many paradoxes, like in ‘Back to the Future.’

Every now moment would have its own past and future, constructed in that moment, and pertinent to only that moment. I’ve actually had that experience in a lucid dream. I was about four years old walking down an unfamiliar street, ready to bust out into all manner of tearfulness cause I realized I was lost. And then I spotted something vaguely familiar, a house I knew something about. And then my memory began to expand, and I recalled a playmate that lived in that particular house and I expanded that into remembering her siblings and her parents and her backyard. And I remembered the times we would play together, and how we went back and forth between her house and mine through a hole in the fence that bordered our properties. Suddenly I was comforted because I knew exactly where I was as my home was directly behind that house that was so familiar.

But at the same time, in a different level of awareness, I also knew that I had created that memory. I suppose every dream is like walking into the middle of the movie, with no beginning and no end, just a setting and situation, and whatever action I determine to be taken. And so it is with the future also, a creation in the now moment, as the moment moves forward. So to change the terminology of that future, I would say it would be more like a selection of different probabilities, invented in the moment, and then one probability acted upon.

And a future focus is simply another sideways timeframe, running alongside mine as a movie or a story or something to that effect. Petunia nods. So if I lived for one hundred more years, I would never really catch up to your reality, but in another sense I’m already there as a different viewpoint. Is that it?

Petunia nods again.

Could you say something here, Petunia. I’m beginning to develop a headache.

But in a sense she says, your reality could become my reality, as you incorporate my ideas into your creation of reality.

So in a way I could get to you, but you’d still be a hundred years older than me, and how would I find you?

Step sideways, and you’re already there.

Oh. So remembory doesn’t work like I thought either, cause it feels as though I’m remembering you now. Like in some sort of expansion of my mind self.

Petunia nods.

I need some Ibuprofen.

She says, you’re projected here all the time from the sleep state.

So that’s what that was about?

Yes.

But I can’t stay when in the waking state?

You can however, recall the feeling.

Yes.

Hold to that.

Thanks. That kind of time travel is rather convenient, I say, I mean it doesn’t have to be a hundred years, it could be tomorrow. I could project to any where, any time, and have no recall of how I got from here to there. Like I’ve just completely forgotten the fourteen hour plane trip. And it still would be a very valid sideways movement. Yes?

Yes.

I like that. It’s so very ‘Twilight Zone.’

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yepity: time is a series (not necessarily linear) of events and choices/actions that connect primarily through context of like innergies and reinforcement...

Anticipating the Glass Hour,
Captain Bridger

Anonymous said...

I'll drink to the glass hour!